Thursday, May 10, 2012

Jeni-Cat

This Sunday is Mother's Day and I'm feeling so sneaky.  Through lies and well-planned trickery, I deceived my dear mother on what I would be writing about this week...

**SURPRISE MOM!**

This week I am dedicating my post to you and all your maternal glory!

For those of you who know me outside of the cyber universe, you probably also know my mom. Although she is most commonly confused as my sister or general-gal-pal-BFF, 

This is why...
Left = MOM  Right = SISTER


I promise you she is indeed my biological mother...and I have the creepy birth video to prove it.

She defies genetic science and laws of human aging, but somehow I still love her. (Even when 90% of people we meet insist I must be her sister...thanks world, but I'm 24)


My mom's name is Jeni.

Yes, J-E-N-I. (much to the dismay of her elementary school teachers who insisted she needed an extra 'N') 

Most people call their mothers things like:
"Mom" (if you're a typical kid)
"Momma" (if you want something)
"Mommy" (if you REALLY want something - or are just annoying in general)
"Ma" (if you're Southern)
or maybe 
"Ma'am" (if you're REALLY Southern or part of a cult)

But I call my mom Jeni-Cat.
I'm actually not a huge fan of cats and neither is she.
However, we have a strange familial sense of humor and it's all pretty well encapsulated in this:

One day, my mom accompanied me and a few friends to Good Will. (I love me some bargains) We found an object that was so hysterical and terrifying that it had to be purchased. (Those of you who have shopped at GW will know that this is not a unique event) This object became the mascot of our house and currently resides on my bookshelf. We named it Jeni-Cat.

The perfect name for something that brings us all tons of laughs, reminds us of fond memories, but somehow still strike us with fear out of pure respect....(or should I say "purr" respect? hardy har!)

BEHOLD: Jeni-Cat...not sure what's going on with the gourds, but yes, she's a candle.



All that to say, my mom is one of a kind. 
A gem. 
A woman beyond compare.

She's taught me a lot and since seeing Jeni-Cat in that shrine-like picture is putting me in a fantastic mood, I thought I'd share some of her wisdom with you.

My mom has taught me that:

1. you don't have to pay full price to feel like a million bucks.
2. sometimes it's okay to eat because it tastes good and not because you're hungry.
3. being bald can still be beautiful with the right attitude.
4. a sense of humor is invaluable.
My dad rocking my mom's wig: See #3 and #4
5. every stage of life is different and there are treasures to be found in each.
6. a really good burger is one of the greatest joys of life.
7. once in a while you just need to cry it out.
8. street smarts are just as important as book smarts.
9. contrary to popular belief, investing yourself in your faith is worth it.
10. loving people is more important than being right.
11. a little leopard print is a wardrobe necessity.
12. resting and taking care of yourself is not a waste of time.
13. worrying about the future is just borrowing trouble.
14. no matter what anyone tells you a woman should look like, you are beautiful.
15. if your favorite song comes on, dancing in the grocery store is completely acceptable.
16. you can't pick your family, but you can adopt other wonderful people into it.
17. chocolate and peanut butter were made for each other.
18. snorting when you laugh should be encouraged.
19. living in fear is worthless.
20. you can accomplish anything with the right pair of shoes and a smile.
21. the right man WILL treat you like a princess.
22. the ocean is one of the most peaceful places to be.
23. prayer works.
24. homemade pizza should be eaten at least once a week.
25. with sweet and sour moments: life is tart. yes, she was my inspiration for this blog (and basically everything else I've ever done)

While mulling over these pieces of advice both comical and endearing, I realized (yet again) how incredible the role of a mother is and how remarkable the women are who undertake it. For many of my dear friends, this will be their first Mother's Day. For some, the journey has only just begun and for others, like myself, motherhood is still being observed from the receiving end. 

So...Ladies and gentlemen, here's to our mothers! A recipe fit for the high tea of Queen Elizabeth...or the queen of your proverbial castle. It's 2012 people, our moms definitely share the ruling of the roost and should be treated as such.

This recipe also happens to be one of Jeni's all time favorites.

LEMON SQUARES! 
Just like the life that our darling mamas help us navigate it's got a little sweet and a little sour. And just like them it's layered and dainty while still packing a punch of flavor.
And let' be honest, like any baked good, our moms are also able to withstand the firey temperatures of an inferno and emerge not only unscathed, but somehow improved and solid....Ladies, I tip my hat to you with this scrumptious recipe.


Step One: (Preheat your oven to 350) beat 3-4 tablespoons softened butter (depending on how buttery you like your crust...I obviously added 4) with 1/4 cup sugar until creamy.


Yum! (butter) with guest appearance by Ah! (knife)
Step Two: Gradually add 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat all purpose (or white flour if you don't care about your health...tsk tsk) until mixture is crumbly. Press into 8 x 8 baking pan.

Step Three: Bake crust for 15 minutes. Let cool.

Buttery crust, I love you.

Step Four: Beat 3 eggs until foamy then add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon zest. 3 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.

Culinary newbies, this is a zester. Use it carefully. This recipe does not call for finger zest.
Step Five: Pour mixture over partially baked crust and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until set up.

Step Six: Sift powdered sugar over the cooled pan, cut into squares and remove.

Step Seven: Deliver to your mom accompanied by her favorite flowers/crossword puzzles/fly fishing lures/or whatever your mama digs and a hand written note thanking her for putting up with your runny noses, eye rolls, and adolescent idiocy. (If you're still an adolescent, thank her nonetheless because trust me - you are an idiot - and hopefully she'll continue to resist the urge to kill you before you emerge a relatively competent young adult)

 
 
 


And to you Jeni-Cat, I'm proud to be your kitten.
I love you. 
You make me stronger.
You challenge me.
You're honest with me. Always.
You're laugh is fantastic.
You are my best friend.
Happy Mother's Day.


I love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living your baby I'll be.











5 comments:

  1. very adorable. Love very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, I am in tears!!! I love this sooo much and I love you and your mom. Thank you for sharing your words! (I am desperately going through my kitchen to see if we have all the ingredients for your lemon bars. Gonna make them for my mom tomorrow morning! Thanks for the idea:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just checking your blog (which ever since I saw, thought it was awesome!) and came around this wonderful Mother's Day post. If I commented in every single issue you write, you'd get tired of me, since I almost always feel identified with something! haha, but I just HAD to comment here. I haven't met your mom, but Facebook has taught me a couple of things, most important how amazing your family is, specially your mom and her accomplishments. This post made me cry. Literally, I'm still in tears. Moms are definitely THE bestEST friends once can have and reading this made me feel you love yours as much as I love and adore mine. I admire every single thing you said she taught you, it was like hearing it from my *mama*...and knowing (at least the basics FB informs us) everything your mom's been through, I can't help but embrace it even more!

    Lots of love for my forever long lost twin sister, xoxo ..... Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I admire her so much. No need to meet her to do so!

    ReplyDelete