Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Best Week(end) Ever!

For those of you expecting a typical, healthy dose of sarcasm after that title (while usually you would be right on point - 10 points for Gryffindor!) prepare to be disappointed....I'm being totally for serious right now.

Do you remember that VH1 show, Best Week Ever? Of course you do!
What? It's still on? Really?
Wow. Okay. In that case...

You got my reference! Woo!

Anyways, I offer my apologies ahead of time. Sometimes I am sufficiently inspired by my ridiculous life and can offer you paragraphs brimming with awkward anecdotes, cat jokes, and classic 'over-share' facts of my life (remember that time I told you like 2567 things that make me super lame?...yeah.). However, this post really just serves one function......TO GLOAT AND RUB MY HAPPINESS IN YO FACE!

Just kidding....But seriously. This past weekend OWNED all other weekends.

Have you ever had one of those weekends that brings you dangerously close to quitting real life and becoming a nomad?
No?
Sure you have.

You know....weekends filled with crystal clear skies, lemonade drinking, pointless drives with windows down, soft serve ice cream, inside jokes, and hand holding?

Weekends beginning with spontaneity and ending with nearly reckless fun-seeking.

Weekends with a landscape of mountaintops, drive-in movies, soft sheets, and picnic tables?

That's the kind of weekend I just had.

And I have to say, it was perfectly timed after a hellish week of deadlines that had me coming into work at the ungodly hour of...*gasp!*....6 am (Don't crush my spirit, moms. I'll be hazed into the world of midnight feedings someday, but for now...5 am alarms are the devil.)

I have been planning a "fun weekend" for months now. Yet, every Friday evening that rolled around found me making lists and fretting over unaccomplished tasks. This weekend, I had no plans. No list to check off, but also no expectations for scheduled fun. (Yes, I am that pathetically controlling. Hi, I'm Lily Fryer; and I schedule my fun.)

The heaps of fun that appeared this weekend were beyond what I could have fit on any of my weekend itineraries - it was all just positively lovely. (BTW...Sadly, I'm only half kidding about the existence of a Lily Fryer weekend itinerary)

I am (beyond) admittedly bad at being spontaneous. I mean, I've cut this blog posting thing down to one a month simply because it takes me a solid 4 hours to organize my thoughts (not really...but almost). I once decided to get Thai food and then UN-decided to get Thai food 15 times in one night. (Ask long-suffering Husband. This is not a joke.) However, this weekend reminded me that some truly fantastic things can emerge out of very little planning to preparation. (and NO this is not my way of telling you we are pregnant. Mom, I repeat - NO bun in the oven....yet)

So.....As I was reminiscing on the past blissful 48 hours, I decided the fun didn't need to stop. I rushed over to my fridge (as I usually do once every hour) pulled out the ingredients that look particularly tasty at the moment, and BOOM!

A masterpiece.

Spinach linguine with Florentine cream sauce.   

Step One: Bring a large pot of water to a boil.(Add linguine during Step Six. Cook until aldente.)

Step Two: Cube up a package of bacon (...or in my case turkey bacon. Go ahead, judge me.)

Tukey cubes, I don't judge you. I love you.
Step Three: Grab two packages of chopped, frozen spinach. (Thaw if you like. Don't thaw if you're lazy like me.)

Pesticide free! Because I'd rather eat bugs than eat chemicals....but really
Step Four: Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to a large saute/sauce pan on medium high heat. Add bacon. Cook until crisp.

Step Five: Add (frozen) spinach. Turn heat to medium. Cover. Stir occasionally until spinach is warmed throughout.
Lazy evidence

Step Six: Add about 2 cups of half and half to spinach/bacon mixture and cook until reduced and slightly thickened. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter if thickening is taking too dang long.

Step Seven: Add cooked linguine. Combine. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper (Yes, it makes a difference.)


Then the Kool Aid guy smashed through my wall and was like..."OhhhYeaahhhh"
There it is, folks. Delicious.

So hey, maybe your weekend was the pits. Maybe your car got carried off by a pack of rabid dogs. Maybe you got locked in a puppet factory (if such a thing exists). Perhaps someone forced you to watch 48 consecutive hours of Dora the Explorer. (Swiper! I SAID NO FREAKING SWIPING! Get a job!)

Or maybe something more plausible, but still lame, happened to you this weekend. Nevertheless, I hope you get a chance to make this. If you don't 'get' a chance - make one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment